.25% Accuray Belt Weigher

Posted on 5. Oct. 2007 - 10:20

Dear YVRpilot,

Looking at your profile, I see that you are involved in wood chippings. If that is the product you wish to measure with a belt weigher then I would propose that it is a very difficult task to achieve +/- 0.25% with long term repeatabilty.

With a bulk density of around 0.2 t/cum and I would suspect a lowish throughput due to bulk constraints. You will need to specify all of these parameters in order to get a reasonable assessment as follows:

Conveyor type

coveyor shape (ie straight or catenary)

Idler type

belt width

belt thickness and type

troughing angle

belt speed

belt length

conveyor incline angle

throughput in t/hr

belt tensioner type

motor size

weighbridge availablity for load tests

Minimum and Maximum throughput

Regards

Jon Scarrott

pelletman
(not verified)

Re: Does Anyone Have A Belt Scale Out There That Has A Consist…

Posted on 5. Oct. 2007 - 04:40

Typically a strain gauge load cell (tension or compression) design

would need to have the weigh bridge modified.

Recommend you contact Thayer Scale 781-826-8101 or www.mail@thayerscale.com. This company employs a unique design and have much weighing & feeding experience in light belt loadings. i.e., "Corn Flakes".

Belt Weigh Scale For Wood Pellets

Posted on 9. Oct. 2007 - 04:38

To YVR Pilot,

1) - I imagine you would need a multi-idler scale with at least 4-6 idlers to achieve repeatable and reliable 0.25% accuracy.

2) - If it is essential to have that accuracy, you may want to take a slightly unconventional approach and consider a second scale, each of which would provide a check on the other. At least if you got significantly different readings, you would know immediately and could recalibrate both scales.

3) - When you are loading large ships at a high fill rate, the $25,000 cost of a second check scale is not so high in comparison to being out by a few hundred tons of product.

4) - I believe that the Milltronics belt scale is one of the best conventional belt scales. T.W.Mackay is the distributor in Vancouver; have you contacted them?

5) - The true weight of pellets also requires an accurate measurement of moisture content; so you might want to check out Acrowood's Drywood moisture measurement system, which includes an accurate weigh scale.

Paul Janze

Sandwell Engineering Inc.

Vancouver, BC

tel: 604-638-4628

email: pjanze@sandwell.com

Re: Does Anyone Have A Belt Scale Out There That Has A Consiste…

Posted on 11. Oct. 2007 - 06:55

YVR pilot,

We have been installing belt scales since 1980 with the last 10 years focused on precision scales which are installed at most ports in Vancouver. Many are certified, one of which is Canada's 1st 0.1% approved belt scale.

Our approach is sound engineering which takes into consideration conveyor dynamics.

We are quite innovative and incorporate several factors other scale mfg have not considered.

We also have monitored and compared draft/rail scale/conveyor scale reading for several years now and are very confident in our belt scale solutions.

Our business comes mostly from referrals and usually after someone else failed to deliver required accuracy.

Lorne Danielson,

TD Micronic Inc.

604 594-9191

Posted on 11. Oct. 2007 - 08:12

Pjanze,

Your reply is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Remember, we not only handle wood pellets, but also wood chips.

At this point in time, all I really wish to do is visit a site that has an operational belt scale with a consistent accuracy of 0.25% or better. After I've seen such animal with my own eyes, then and only then I will purchase a new scale.

I don't want to sound bitter or distrusting, but sales people will promise you the accuracy I'm looking for. When you ask them to show you the goods at work, the fumbling begins.

Anyways, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I must see a working belt scale with the accuracy I'm looking for before I take any steps further.

Proving 0.25%

Posted on 13. Oct. 2007 - 01:17

YVR pilot,

A simple question:

how do you assess that the system is weighing to 0.25%?

Probably not with a site lorry weighbridge which are nominally 0.5%. I think you would probably require an in-line static weighing system to catch and measure batches of material. This could then measure to the order of 0.1%. An expensive option, but if the measurement is important then maybe worth the money.

I don't think it's possible to come anywhere close to 0.25% for an extended period of say 3 months. The closest I ever came to a weighing system with a consistent weighing accuracy of 0.5% for a period of 6 months, was an Inflo system. The weigh carriage was a true force collection system and the transducer was a vibratiing wire type.

I you are persuaded that a company can provide a 0.25% system then ensure that you include a tight contractural condition about performance and time span. Most sensible weighing companies will walk away.

Jon Scarrott

Long Term 0.25%

Posted on 14. Oct. 2007 - 08:01

I agree that 0.25% is rarely achieved over longer term.

In general 'brochure accuracy' is for components supplied and does not include a many errors attributable to the belt/conveyor system

.....ie all belt scale are great until you install them onto a conveyor.

We have component accuracies in the order of 0.05% to 0.01% and installed system accuracies of 0.25% or better.

Not every conveyor is suitable for high accuracy belt scales.

However we have several certified tests (with reference of 0.01 - 0.05%) that prove year after year accuracies better than 0.25%. And the year after.

Most manufacturers back down from installed performance guarantee.

But accepting this challenge is how we achieved better performance.

p w chase
(not verified)

Posted on 31. Oct. 2007 - 01:07

YVRpilot, you are geting overall good advice from the several posts I see. I am a consultant on belt-conveyor scales.

If you really want 0.25% day after day, remember that a belt-conveyor scale is not like a truck scale or hopper scale. A truck scale re-zeroes between every load as does a hopper scale.

A belt-conveyor scale can acquire a small bias and will just keep totalizeing that bias along with the real load.

Feel free to contact me for additional information. Although I haven't seen any information on your application I believe the 0.25% is achievable.

And very important is the reference scale against which the belt-conveyor scale is calibrated.

Paul Chase

I Think I've Found What I'm Looking For

Posted on 4. Dec. 2007 - 02:18

Well, it seems that I ***might have*** found what I'm looking for...

Thanks to everyone for your help!

You've been extremely helpful.

Regards,

YVRpilot

rbentzel
(not verified)

Posted on 15. Dec. 2007 - 04:45

Take a look at Belt Way Scales. here is the website.

Two units on the belt can get to the 0.25%

http://beltwayscales.com/beltway/ind...d=29&Itemid=47

Pricing on each standrad unit is around $4000

Robert

Weigh Belt Accuracy

Posted on 16. Dec. 2007 - 09:26

You may be interested in the British Materials Handling Board publication - 'Guide to the Specification of Weighfeeder Systems' for information about specifications and a checklist to determine suitability.

Weighfeeder Specifications

Posted on 18. Dec. 2007 - 07:25

Dear Bates,

Can you pls advice,where can I get hold of the British standards for weighfeeder systems.

Thanks,

P.J.Talreja

Weighfeeders

Posted on 19. Dec. 2007 - 10:32

Copies of the document are available from: -

The British Materials Handling Board,

15 Harewood Avenue,

Sale,

Cheshire. M33 5BX price £ 15 plus £5 overseas postage.

or if you send your address to lyn@ajax.co.uk I will arrange a copy to be sent.

Proving 0.25% Accuracy For A Belt Weigher

Posted on 23. Dec. 2007 - 12:53

I asked a simple question part way through this thread, that is, how do you prove that the weigher is better than 0.25% accurate over a period of time. Accuracy at the time of testing is not a problem.

I see a number of claims that it is possible but no one has come up with the answer. I am not convinced there is one.

Jon Scarrott

High Accuracy Low Belt Load Belt Weighers

Posted on 15. Mar. 2008 - 11:15

It is practically not possible to have a high accuracy belt weigher with very low dynamic ranges. It is better to go in for a static weighing system line a throughput weigher which can give accuracies as 0.1%. This can be incorporated in series with the belt weighers. We have incorporated the same for tea industry for the drier output.

Belt Scale Accuracy

Posted on 12. May. 2008 - 01:12

Dear Mr. Pilot,

It is very difficult to get an accuracy of 0.25 of FSD. Can you tell if I say this belt scale will give you an accuracy of 0.1 % of FSD -how can a person will veryfy it?

Regards.

A.Banerjee