125 mm. diameter round bar cutting

Posted in: , on 24. Dec. 2002 - 07:34

We are in the process of manufacturing Auminium, and due to the process requirement, 125 mm Mild steel round bars are use to hang the anodes in the pot shells. After some operating cycles, due to bath attack, these round bars develop neck by reducing the diameter, and has to be replaced by cutting them and welding a new piece.

We have been cutting them by oxy-acetylene cutting torch, which perform the job, but the surface finish is very poor. The surface finish is a important criteria, as we use friction welding to weld a new piece in place of the removed damaged one.

The cutting of these damaged round bar is performed in vertical position only.

Can some one suggest a methode, which can be:

- Economical

- Environmental Friendly

- Give smooth surface finish

- Perform the job within 2 minutes time cycle.

- Does not require much space, avavilable space is 2 meters X 2 meters

- It may not be feasible to change the orientation and cut the pieces horizontally.

The material composition of the round bars being cut are as follows:

*ANODE ROD REPAIR - STUB *CONSUMABLES *STUB, ROUND BAR, HOT ROLLED

STRUCTURAL STEEL TO GENERAL REQ-UIREMENTS OF ASTM A36, BS 4360 GRADE

R43A, ISO630, GRADE FE42A WITH FOLLOWING SPEC: DIA 125MM +-1MM, OUT OF

ROUND +- 1.5 MAX, WEIGHT TOLERANCE 96.4 KG/M +-2.5%, LENGTH 3 METRE

EACH STUB, TYPICAL CHEMICAL ANALYSIS (AVERAGE) CARBON 0.16%, MANGANESE

0.66%, PHOSPHORUS 0.019%~ SULPHUR 0.02%~ SILICON 0.2%.

Sushanta Samal

Sushanta Samal

125 Round Bar

Posted on 1. Dec. 2002 - 05:06

If you are aware of Aluminium industry, this is called as stub replacement, and the rejected stubs (125 dia) are replaced, when the diameter fals down from the acceptable limit.

These stubs are welded to the main rod, and hangs vertically in the Rodding Plant.

My question is to cut these stubs fast (within 2 mins.) and economically. I have tried with laser and plasma cutting devices, but they do not have such cutting facility.

Sushanta Samal

Re: 125 Mm. Diameter Round Bar Cutting

Posted on 28. Dec. 2002 - 10:53

I don't know much about the application so the question may sound stupid... Why you have to cut the part instead of designing an holder and replace the stub when it no longer meets the diameter specifications?

Antonio Reis

www.vitrom.com

gmahon
(not verified)

Untitled

Posted on 27. Feb. 2003 - 09:07

Sushanta,

Anode Rod Stub replacement can be efficiently done on the run by a couple of companies these days. Friction welding of the new stub works well, although some of the companies I suggest you talk to offer different welding techniques these days.

1. Altech in Iceland - Attn Barry Woodrow at barry@altech.is fax +354 525 2319

2. Kempe International in Australia - Attn Tony Hudson at fax +61 3 5225 2955

omlesna aled zurc - Philippines
(not verified)

Posted on 23. Aug. 2004 - 05:56

Hi Sushanta,

Small world huh?

I'm very familiar with your process in Rodding because I work there for five years, covering the Paste Plant 1/2, Kiln and Rodding 1 Area.

One method you may apply for cutting the 125 mm Round Bar is a Laser assisted by Water Jet. But based on your requered process time, it is not possible to cut it in two(2) minutes (approximately 1 minute per Rod). Work space of 2m x 2m is possible for this application using an Optical cables that the laser and H2O passed.

If the existing machine incorporated the cutting and welding this also not possible that you required to separate each process of cutting and welding.

You can email me on ansel.cs1@pacific.net.ph for me send you some details, photos, etc for the laser concept.

Omlesna

125mm Round Cutting

Posted on 24. Aug. 2004 - 06:15

Dear susanto,

I am confused.How can you do the friction welding without removing the stub ends?In friction welding you will have to hold one end in the fixed jaws and the other end rotates at high speed in keeping constant contact with the fixed parts thus generating heat and then pressure is applied to have a joint.This is not possible without removing the rods from the holders.

I dont think that there is any process by which you can cut Rods in vertical position in two minutes.

Regards,

K.B.Ghoshal

k.B. ghoshal

Cutting Dilema

Posted on 26. Aug. 2004 - 02:50

Dear Sushanta,

If you Google gasoline cutting torch inside parenthesis you should solve your problem.

Posted on 26. Aug. 2004 - 07:19

This thread is being around for a while...

Innitially I asked the question "Why you have to cut the part instead of designing an holder and replace the stub?"

I'm still drilling on that idea.

I don't have an idea about setup time, time to clean the part before welding etc. I assume that the two minutes is only to cut the rods.

Couldn't a modified portable band saw be used?

Antonio Reis

Vitrom Mfg Consultants

Your Process and Manufacturing Solutions

Phone: 209.834.1900

Fax: 209.834.1039

www.vitrom.com