Drafting 101 - Chutes and Belt Conveyors

Posted in: , on 8. May. 2016 - 12:16

Hi, I'm Kevin. I'm new to this forum but nearly 30 years in bulk materials handling, design/build. I'd just like some opinions about a couple simple matters.

Having started in this business on drafting boards, I was taught, fresh out of college, by degreed and non-degreed individuals. I owe so much to these people who taught me the conventions, rules-of-thumb, empirical calculations and many things materials handling. I still have cut sheets and tables and "cook book" calculation sheets from these people and everyone who's ever worked for me since has an almost duplicate of my "design binder" because I've passed on this knowledge.

One thing I was told is to dimension the INSIDE of chutes. The inside dimension is most important because, as materials handling goes, we care about the flow-ability, the throat through which lumps must pass, etc. The outside, unless were placing a chute in a tight area, has to do with rigidity, wear resistance, and maybe damage at points of impingement. The outside is secondary. It seems that almost all drawings of chutes I have seen or used which were produced by materials handling people across the US show indie chute dimensions. Please tell me your opinions regarding this very simple dimensioning convention.

Second thing is that I would almost never dimension vertically to the horizontal center of a pulley. I almost always dimension to the top of the pulleys where the pulley WP is established. A dimension along the conveyor's length is of interest - center/center of pulleys. But even a dimension of total Lift is from tail pulley WP to head pulley WP. Similar to the chutes, being a materials handling person, I'm interested in the beltline primarily because I'm interested in the material and the pulley centerline is one step away from the material. So dimensions to the pulley centerlines reference to the pulley support or to the mounting of the pulley. As and example, a dimension from grade up to the centerline of a head pulley or tail pulley looks odd. I have used new dwgs of conveyors and ancient dwgs during retrofit projects. I rarely have seen dimensions to centers of pulleys. Please tell me your opinion of this dimensioning convention.

Thanks in advance.

Roland Heilmann
(not verified)

Conventions

Posted on 9. May. 2016 - 08:15

Hello Kevin,

nice to hear from you.

I'm here on the old continent and do this dimensioning based on quite the same conventions. However, I do a distinction: With the drawings, I distinguish between conveyor system documents where the inside width of the chutes and nominal length "between pulley centres" as well as nominal lift "from point of feed / top of return pulley" to "top of discharge pulley" are of interest. But then there's the entire mechanical drawings set, where the base dimensions for the mechanical design are laid down: position of pulleys / pulley block bearings etc. There, dimensions to centers of pulleys etc. become the important dimensions, and the conveyor system dimensions take the second row, if mentioned at all. All this in order to finally derive structural drawings, where there's the mechanical equipment but left as a simplified silhouette, and conv. system dim.s are completely left out.

But, pls., could you pls. explain this expression "indie .. dimension", didn't ever see this one.

Thanks! &

Regards

R.

Re: Drafting 101 - Chutes And Belt Conveyors

Posted on 9. May. 2016 - 03:38

Welcome to the site Kevin. Your input is much appreciated.

I too have been around material handling projects for about 38 years. I agree with you in most part. The GA drawings do require overall dimensions to the working points of the conveyor including the tops of pulleys showing the elevations. The GA drawing may or may not show outside dimension of the chute work.

The detail drawings are to show the center lines of pulleys with reference to top of support beams or center line of a support. These dimensions will also reference the WP's of the conveyor. The detail drawing will show the inside dimensions of any chute work and reference the CL of the pulley as well as the CL of the conveyor.

The part that I most often see neglected is when the structural details are complete they do not reference the CL of the conveyor in relation to the column lines of the structure or locate the CL of any pulleys at the tower. Two simple references that would make life so much easier.

The pulley to pulley CL and pulley CL's to WP's is required for proper load calculations when designing the conveyor.

I also moved your post from "General Aspects" to "Trough Belt Conveying" where it will get more views. Enjoy the site.

Gary

Gary Blenkhorn
President - Bulk Handlng Technology Inc.
Email: garyblenkhorn@gmail.com
Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-blenkhorn-6286954b

Offering Conveyor Design Services, Conveyor Transfer Design Services and SolidWorks Design Services for equipment layouts.